Authorities said that gunfire erupted early Sunday at a large pop-up party on New York City famed Coney Island boardwalk, injuring at least five people, one critically.
The shooting occurred around 2 a.m. southeast of the historic former Parachute Jump Ride tower. According to the New York Police Department, no suspects have been apprehended.
According to police, a large crowd had gathered for a pop-up party on the beachside boardwalk at 21st Street when at least one person pulled a gun and began shooting.
The cause of the gunfire was not immediately clear.
Two women and three men were shot as they ran and dove for cover, police said.
According to police, the injured people ranged in age from 19 to 37. Their identities were not revealed right away.
A 37-year-old man was shot in the back and was taken to a hospital in critical condition, police noted.
A teenager was also shot in the back, a 36-year-old man was shot in the chin, and two women in their mid-20s were shot in the legs, they were all in stable condition, according to the authorities.
The shooting occurred less than a week after tens of thousands of people attended the nationally televised Nathan’s Hot Dog Eating Contest on the Fourth of July, just north of where the shooting occurred.
The shooting came just days after NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell announced a double-digit drop in murders and shootings in the nation’s largest city during the month of June.
According to the NYPD, murders were down 13% in June compared to the same month last year, and shootings were down 13% compared to June 2021. According to NYPD crime statistics, the city’s annual murder rate is down 9.9 percent to 210 homicides through July 3 compared to the same period last year.
According to the data, the number of shooting victims, 792, has also decreased by 9.1 percent compared to the same time period last year.
During a news conference, Sewell said, “This is real, tangible progress against violence in this city.”